The National Institute of Education, Singapore (NIE), Nanyang Technological University, is looking for suitable candidates to apply for full-time research scholarships at NIE leading to the Doctor in Philosophy (PhD) degree. Candidates with research interests in the humanities, education, sciences and physical education are welcomed to apply. The scholarship will commence in January 2009.
- Candidates should possess a First Class or Second Class (Upper Division) Honours degree or its equivalent, and a Master`s degree in the relevant areas and the ability to pursue research in the candidate`s proposed field of advanced study.
- For international applicants, min scores required: GRE – 1180 (verbal & quantitative) ; TOEFL – 580 (paper), 237 (computer), 80 (internet); IELTS – 6.5; Analytical Writing – 3.5; GATE – 90%.
- Candidates should also not be on paid employment or accept paid employment or concurrently hold any other scholarship, fellowship, and bursary or top-up allowance during the prescribed period of the award.
- The award is tenable for one year in the first instance and is renewable subject to good progress up to a maximum of 4 years.
- The monthly stipend for PhD students is S$2,000. Upon successful completion of the Qualifying Examination and Candidature Confirmation (after 12 months), the stipend may be increased to S$2,500, subject to good performance in research and required courses.
- Students are expected to cover all their living expenses (including food and lodging) from this stipend.
- In addition to the monthly stipend, the award also covers the annual tuition fees (S$4,482 to S$11,200 depending on nationality) and the annual computer fees.
For non Singapore Citizens/Permanent Residents
The offer of this award is conditional upon the scholar being issued a valid Student`s Pass by the Singapore Immigration, which is also subject to medical clearance, and maintaining a valid Student`s Pass for the entire duration of the scholar`s studies for the higher degree.
For information on PhD entry and programme requirements, areas of research, scholarship, application, etc, go to: http://www.nie edu.sg/nieweb/index.do Under Programmes a Graduate Programme a PhD Programmes, Applications and Research Scholarships (on left menu).
Ms Cindi Chiam,
Programme Executive, Graduate Programmes & Research Office;
DID: (65) 6790 3995 Fax: (65) 6896 9446
Closing Date for Application 30 September 2008